Monday, September 20, 2010

Post Expedition

I'm having a hard time here.

And I just took a quick look at my last post (titled "Affliction") and so it seems I am being thematic, if even unintentionally.

The issue over my head is purpose. I feel purposeless. I have felt like this in Midland (though God knows I had my hands full) and I feel this now - though, again, there are daily things on the agenda and always english to teach. This is something deeper i know, past tasks.

I have this feeling that God has silenced me, and hid me away in a country where I cannot speak or be found. I feel very hidden and unused. 'I can't be doing anything for Him now,' my mind says. 'Surely He has forgotten me.' I don't understand how this works - how Russia fits in with my life. How I have not spoken to more than 2 people about God and yet He has led me here. God, couldn't I do more for you in a country where it is 1)at least legal for me to go and speak to someone about Christ and 2) I could at least speak! and yet here I am.

There have been good things about being here. In the Agape ministry, I am the young one here. Having met so many of the people here who have been walking with the Lord so long, i see that there are decades of wisdom. One lady, a doctor (cause they all are really) advised me when I opened up to her one night. She prescribed me to smile about the Gospel and about Jesus Christ and about future glory 3 times a day, every day, until I feel better all day. What a great prescription.

That's what I'm doing now. Truthfully, when I get to thinking about 'how am i any use to You?' i forget that He loved me so much to come and get me. And draw me close to Him. He softened my heart slowly, because He knew what I needed. And then, He filled me with love for His Son and left me on earth with a promise that this will all pass away one day to be replaced by joy.

I've been reading John lately and 6:29 is a great verse. I don't say that because I have any special revelation on it, but because it's so deep and complex to me, I can't get it out of my head. I'm praying through it now. I really recommend reading this whole passage but this is just the verse:
Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”
It's humbling to me. But confusing, because to me, I think the act of believing is...perfective maybe? I think that's the word I'm looking for. Because once it's done, it's a completed act, once and for all. So I read this verse and think, 'okay, did that. Now what?' But there's a continuity to belief that I don't understand. I must keep doing it, it seems. But what does that mean and what does it look like?

I have no answers, but I am praying for understanding. Also, I LOVE the idea of thinking on the Gospel three times a day. Everyone should do it!

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, this was really encouraging. Seriously, what a sweet prescription! I know that feeling of being purposeless sucks and is frustrating. Praying that the Lord will comfort and keep you as He reveals his purposes for you. You're not at all forgotten, sister! Your friends at home miss you and your rockin' purple pants! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww leslie thank you so much! You really encouraged me right now :)

    ReplyDelete