Sunday, September 13, 2009

For the sake of future sarah

Blog blog blob slob

Got that out of my system. I just finished Passion and Purity by one of JVS's main ladies, Elisabeth Elliot. (Henceforth, referred to as P&P by E.E) What a blessing! I feel at times that what Jim and 'Bett' (as he called her) had is impossible, given my natural cynicism. What kind of unerathly love is that, which waits 5 years, and doesn't allow a kiss, or even at times regular correspondence? But that is exactly what it is. Unearthly. Of course the natural course of thought is disbelief because such love is not from this earth, but from above. It is not in my limited knowledge to understand it, but it is within my God-given capacity to accept it as a possibility. Just as the love of Jesus which took the form of the cross is not understandable to me, but is a reality, that kind of love described by E.E in her book exsists, if even I don't experience it on earth.

What I most enjoyed were her constant references back to scripture, to hymns, and to authors whom she's read before who wrote truth. I hope to have those same resources at my disposal for when the storm comes, because it will. I hope to hide His word in my heart. I have recently taken to reading more authors of the 'christian' genre. (I hesitate at using 'christian' as an adjective, I dislike what it connotates which is probably why I have for so long stayed away from literature characterized as such) Regardless, I have today made some purchases of which I am very proud. A book by Jerry Bridges, one called 'Messy Spirituality' and another about missionary work. I hope to find the truths in all of these books.

Another point that P&P touched on was the call to obedience, especially when the desire to be obedient is constantly at war with the desire of the flesh. That actually is the entire point of the book now that I reread that last sentence, haha. Ahem....anyway.....this realization has caused a new request in my prayer life. One that asks He reveals to me ways in which my will does not match His. I guess that has always been a prayer, however now I feel that I have something real as an example.

My prayer is not on relationships, which is what this book is about on surface level, but on my future. This book is one above all on patience, trust and waiting on the Lord. I don't want to forget the lady I talked to this past Thursday while Treasure Hunting, and the promise the Lord spoke through her to me -

Trust in the LORD with all your heart

and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways acknowledge him,

and he will make your paths straight.

I know that He who has promised is faithful, and I need only to wait on His answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment